Sporting KC Top Players To Watch: #1
Dom Dwyer – Forward
More from Sporting Kansas City
- Sporting KC vs Austin FC Odds, Prediction and Pick (Two High-Powered Attacks Square Off)
- Sporting KC vs Real Salt Lake Odds, Prediction and Pick (Fireworks in Store Between Explosive Offenses)
- Sporting KC vs Houston Dynamo Odds, Prediction and Pick (Expect Tightly-Contested Match)
- KC Current Aim for Second Straight Upset Win Tonight vs. Racing Louisville
- Felipe Gutiérrez Rejoins Sporting KC as Club Welcomes Back 2019 Team MVP
Maybe the biggest addition to Sporting KC’s 2017 roster is simply the return of a healthy Dom Dwyer. Dwyer was hobbled much of last season due to injury. If nothing else, getting back their top scorer over the past several years back to full strength should help Sporting be even more competitive moving forward. Certainly one can argue that having Dwyer at 100% would have been a big help in KC’s 0-1 loss to Seattle in the Knockout game last year.
Dom Dwyer has 52 goals for Sporting KC since 2012, excluding a year spent on loan to Orlando City. That is a significant presence for a soccer club as goals are often hard to come by. The bulk of those goals have come in the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Dwyer was off to a very strong start last year until he went suffered a foot injury that hobbled him.
Sporting KC is still limiting Dom Dwyer in preseason workouts, but he is expected to be ready to go at the start of the year. As long as he is, fans should expect yet another strong season from the 26 year old. Especially considering that he is looking to gain US citizenship in order to make a run at the USMNT in the near future.
The 2017 Sporting KC club looks to have built themselves a strong roster that should be very competitive. The mixture of proven talent and young potential is very impressive. If Sporting can improve their offensive production this year, while maintaining a strong defense, they will absolutely contend.