ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Tigers 6, Royals 3
Good news: Kansas City is only six games out of the wild card after playing nine of their last 12 against the two best teams in the American League.
Bad news: Mike Moustakas is clearly not healthy, Lorenzo Cain is on the disabled list, and KC’s offense practically doesn’t exist.
…and they are six games out of the wild card.
Good news: 16 of the Royals next 17 games are against teams with losing records, starting with a series agains the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday. Most of those teams are true losing teams as the Nationals are the only team who have a shot at being .500 by the time the Royals play them.
Bad News: We’ve now seen the best of the Royals and the worst of the Royals this season. The likelihood there will be another 17 of 20 stretch is highly unlikely. The odds are now the Royals will finish out the season showing their true colors – the colors of a .500 baseball team. A 20-19 record the rest of the way will be the Royals at 84-78 for the season. That simply isn’t enough. Kansas City needs to go at least 26-13 the rest of the way to even be close to contention for a wild card spot. At this stage that seems unlikely.
SPORTING KC fell to the San Jose Earthquakes, 1-0. The roller coaster of this team is frustrating. Maybe even moreso than the Royals because we know this team is good enough to win the MLS but they can never keep things together from one game to the next. Not having Graham Zusi for most of the season hasn’t helped either.
We also had a feature on SKC’s Oriol Rosell over the weekend.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- Trying to predict the Chiefs 53-man roster. (Arrowhead Addict)
- Here is your Royals minor league update for August 18. (Kings of Kauffman)
- Mizzou lands 4-star power forward Jakeenan Gant for 2014. (KC Star)
- Here’s your Jamaal Charles update. (Arrowhead Pride)
- A podcast interview with Royals Director of Player Development Scott Sharp. (Pine Tar Press)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
- Alex Rodriguez wired $50k to pay for Tony Bosch’s attorney. This was before Rodriguez got hit in the ribs on a pitch from Ryan Dempster last night.
- Dustin Keller blew out his ACL, PCL, and MCL while also dislocating his right knee over the weekend. D.J. Swearinger, who delivered the hit, says he went low because he was trying to avoid a fine from the NFL for delivering a blow to the head.
- Ben McLemore has some comments about Shabazz Muhammad being sent home from the NBA’s rookie program.
- Today in “The NCAA Sucks”: A Marine veteran is forced to redshirt because of some “intramurals.”
- Dave Chappelle is back. I hope he sticks around for a while.
- A California pastor saves a woman from a shark attack. The woman’s arm was severed below the shoulder by the bite.
ONE MORE THING…
Fox Sports 1 launched over the weekend. Here’s a dress rehearsal clip mocking ESPN’s debate format. (Awful Announcing)