Sporting KC Draw DC United 1-1 On Saturday


Sporting KC traveled to the Nation’s Capital, Washington D.C. to face D.C. United on Saturday. Only two goals between the two teams suggests that there was not a lot of action, but it was a hard fought game that saw two Sporting KC players suffer head wounds that drew blood.

More from KC Kingdom

Sporting KC had the first opportunity of the game in the 19th minute when midfielder Roger Espinoza crossed in a ball from the left wing to the far post that found an on-rushing Jacob Peterson who slid and got his foot to the ball but the ball hit the crossbar and bounced back out to the middle of the box where it was cleared. Sporting was unlucky to not be ahead 1-0 after that chance.

Sporting KC found another opportunity just ten minutes later in the 29th minute when reigning MLS player of the month Benny Feilhaber found himself to the left of goal and fired a shot on target but D.C. goalkeeper Bill Hamid did well to deflect the ball out of play.

D.C. found the first goal of the game when Perry Kitchen played a long ball up to Chris Pontius in the box who sent a pass rolling across the face of goal, and Jairo Arrieta got his foot to it and just got it past a sliding Matt Besler to give D.C. the 1-0 lead in the 42nd minute.

Sporting KC were quick to answer when Roger Espinoza dribbled up the left side of goal and crossed back to the center of the box where Dom Dwyer fired an off-balance shot into the back of the net to draw things level at 1-1 in the 45th minute.

D.C. nearly found the winner in the closing moments of the game when a corner kick was cleared out to the top of the box but Michael Farfan collected it and fired a shot that went just wide of goal.

Seth Sinovic and Graham Zusi both experienced scary injuries. Sinovic went up to challenge for a ball with his head and collided with another player which resulted in a gash above his eyebrow that required stitches after the game, but he was able to stay in and ultimately finish the game.

More from Sporting Kansas City

Zusi’s injury looked to be more serious. In the same manner as Sinovic, Zusi went up to challenge for a ball with his head and made contact with another player’s head which resulted in a gash on his head. After getting patched up on the sideline Zusi returned to the game but never looked right.

In the 90th minute Zusi sat down on the pitch and waved for medical help as soon as play stopped. Sporting KC subbed him out for rookie Amadou Dia. The extent of Zusi’s injury is unknown but he looked to be showing concussion symptoms. Hopefully both Zusi and Sinovic experience quick recoveries.

With the point earned from the draw, Sporting KC are now in fifth in the Western Conference Standings with 14 points in ten games played.

Sporting KC will be back in action on Saturday, May 16th at 7:30 PM CDT at Sporting Park against the Colorado Rapids.

Next: Sporting KC Edge Out Victory Against Chicago Fire