Preseason football kicked off last Sunday, but the KC Chiefs will see their first action on Saturday night against the Arizona Cardinals.
The first unofficial depth chart is out for the Kansas City Chiefs and not too many surprises were revealed.
— Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) August 7, 2015
- Quarterback: Alex Smith
- Running Back: Jamaal Charles
- Wide Receiver: Jeremy Maclin
- Wide Receiver: Albert Wilson
- Tight End: Travis Kelce
- Left Tackle: Eric Fisher
- Left Guard: Ben Grubbs
- Center: Eric Kush
- Right Guard: Jeff Allen
- Right Tackle: Donald Stephenson
Nothing too surprising from the offensive side of the ball. Obviously Smith, Charles, Maclin, and Kelce are starting. Jason Avant is the backup to Maclin with De’Anthony Thomas serving as Wilson’s backup. Sixth round pick James O’Shaughnessey is currently the second string tight end.
Aaron Murray got the edge over Tyler Bray for the third quarterback spot and you have to begin to wonder how much longer the Chiefs will keep Bray on the team. Four quarterbacks usually gets dwindled to three at some course during the preseason.
CHECK OUT: KC CHIEFS WRITERS WELCOME ON KC KINGDOM
The offensive line seemed to one of the biggest storylines headed into 2015 after how bad last year’s was. Stephenson has seemingly won back the coaches’ trust and is the starter at right tackle. Zach Fulton, after starting his entire rookie season at right guard, is now the backup behind Jeff Allen. The center position could be one that rotates between Kush and rookie Mitch Morse, but I wasn’t surprised to see Kush get the nod at starter there.
- Left Defensive End – Mike DeVito
- Nose Tackle – Jaye Howard
- Right Defensive End – Allen Bailey
- Left Outside Linebacker: Justin Houston
- Left Inside Linebacker: Josh Mauga
- Right Inside Linebacker: Derrick Johnson
- Right Outside Linebacker: Tamba Hali
- Left Cornerback: Phillip Gaines
- Right Cornerback: Sean Smith
- Strong Safety: Ron Parker
- Free Safety: Husain Abdullah
Obviously the one that stands out here is no Dontari Poe. Poe had back surgery and will miss several weeks as a result. Jaye Howard should be able to do a decent job in the spot until Poe returns.
The other area that stands out is that Eric Berry is not starting at safety. He instead will serve as the backup to Abdullah.
- Punter – Dustin Colquitt
- Kicker: Cairo Santos
- Long Snapper: James Winchester
- Punt Returner: De’Anthony Thomas
- Kick Returner: Knile Davis
These aren’t too interesting by any means. Maclin is the second punt returner after Thomas and rookie Chris Conley is listed behind Davis at kick returner.
Overall, not too many surprises as far as the starters go for the KC Chiefs and it’ll be interesting to see if anything changes after the first preseason game this weekend.