KC Chiefs news consists of free agency and how the Kansas City Chiefs finally signed some free agents after a slow start to the offseason.
After not making a single move on Wednesday or Thursday, the Kansas City Chiefs got on the free agent board on Friday evening, striking a deal with cornerback Antonio Hamilton. On Saturday, they made another signing with the addition of offensive lineman Mike Remmers.
Neither name is going to have fans bouncing off the walls with excitement, but the Chiefs don’t need to have those type of signings this offseason. They’re the reigning Super Bowl champions and while the goal is obviously to repeat in the 2020 season, championship teams can’t always make the big time signings and keep everyone on the team.
The Chiefs have already seen players from their championship team sign elsewhere whether it be Kendall Fuller heading to Washington or Emmanuel Ogbah taking his talents to South Beach. Fans didn’t expect to keep everyone and while the two names brought in aren’t the most well-known names, they provide depth.
CHECK OUT WHAT’S TRENDING IN KC CHIEFS NEWS FROM AROUND FanSided
- What to expect from Antonio Hamilton in 2020 [Shade Piper, KC Kingdom]
- Quinton Dunbar, Rasul Douglas give Chiefs trade options at cornerback [Matt Conner, Arrowhead Addict]
- Bored Patrick Mahomes makes for an entertaining Twitter follow [Patrick Allen, FanSided]
- Mike Remmers provides depth to offensive line [KC Kingdom]
Remmers, who will turn 31 next month, has been a journeyman throughout his NFL career, spending time with the Chargers, Panthers, Rams, Vikings, and Giants. The Chiefs will be his sixth team and 2020 will be his ninth NFL season. Remmers has the veteran experience the Chiefs are looking for this offseason and has been durable since his days with the Panthers in 2015.
HERE’S WHAT’S TRENDING IN KC CHIEFS NEWS FROM AROUND THE REST OF THE WEB
- 2020 free agency: Ex-Colts CB Pierre Desir feasible option for Chiefs [Charles Goldman, Chiefs Wire]
- Contract details for new Chiefs CB Antonio Hamilton now available [John Dixon, Arrowhead Pride]
The additions of Hamilton and Remmers might not be the flashy signings that the Chiefs made a year ago by bringing in the likes of Tyrann Mathieu and Frank Clark, but winning a title takes the pressure off now. The Chiefs can still use depth on their roster and that’s what Hamilton and Remmers provide.
It’s still early on in free agency, so don’t be surprised if Brett Veach continues to make some sneaky good moves in the next few weeks.