The NFL announced that 32 former NFL players, one for each team, will announce the second round selection on Friday, May 9th in prime-time during the 2014 NFL Draft.
This is the fourth year in a row that the NFL has had former greats announce the 2nd round selections. Here’s the full list of players and their teams,
- Arizona Cardinals, Aeneas Williams (S)**
- Atlanta Falcons, Claude Humphrey (DE)**
- Baltimore Ravens, Michael McCrary (DE)
- Buffalo Bills, Andre Reed (WR)**
- Carolina Panthers, Mark Carrier (WR)
- Chicago Bears, Mike Singletary (LB)
- Cincinnati Bengals, Ken Riley (CB)
- Cleveland Browns, Eric Metcalf (WR)
- Dallas Cowboys, Dat Nguyen (LB)
- Denver Broncos, Gene Mingo (HB)
- Detroit Lions, Herman Moore (WR)
- Green Bay Packers, James Lofton (WR)
- Houston Texans, Chester Pitts (G)
- Indianapolis Colts, Marvin Harrison (WR)
- Jacksonville Jaguars, Brad Meester (C)
- *Kansas City Chiefs, Curley Culp (DT)
- Miami Dolphins, Larry Little (G)
- Minnesota Vikings, Joey Browner (S)
- New England Patriots, Willie McGinest (DE-LB)
- New Orleans Saints, Morten Andersen (K)
- New York Giants, Harry Carson (LB)
- New York Jets, Chad Pennington (QB)
- Oakland Raiders, Willie Brown (CB)
- Philadelphia Eagles, Mike Quick (WR)
- Pittsburgh Steelers, Terry Hanratty (QB)
- St. Louis Rams, Kevin Carter (DE)
- San Diego Chargers, Jamal Williams (DT)
- San Francisco 49ers, Dennis Brown (DE)
- Seattle Seahawks, Walter Jones (T)**
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Derrick Brooks (LB)**
- Tennessee Titans, Kevin Dyson (WR)
- Washington Redskins, London Fletcher (LB)
The players names in bold means they’re Hall of Famers, the * means their team does not have a second round pick and the ** means they’re the HOF class of 2014.
This year, NFL Hall Of Fame defensive tackle Curly Culp announce the Kansas City Chiefs 3rd round draft choice, assuming they don’t trade into the second round. Remember, the Chiefs do not have a second round pick this year due the Alex Smith trade.
It’s pretty cool that they chose Curly Culp as the honorary guest to make the call.
Culp is one of my all time favorite Chiefs, not because I remember watching him play, I’m too young for that, but because he was drafted by Denver and traded to KC only to become a hall of fame defensive tackle. Eat it, Broncos!
Anyway, Denver drafted Culp in the second round of the 1968 NFL draft. After a failed experiment to move Culp to offensive guard, he was dealt to the Chiefs and was instantly a difference maker for those legendary defenses.
Culp helped the Chiefs win Super Bowl IV in only his second season. After six great seasons in KC, Culp was traded to the Houston Oilers, where he anchored some great defenses and helped turn their franchise around.
Culp was inducted into the Pro-Football Hall of Fame in 2013 and deservedly so. He was First team all pro, 5x pro-bowler, defensive player of the year, and Super Bowl champion.
It’ll be awesome to see Culp make the announcement. Hopefully, he can announce in the 2nd round, because that would mean the Chiefs either moved back or up into the 2nd round. Former Cheifs kicker, Morten Anderson, will be announcing the New Orleans Saints pick. I’m hoping Anderson still has a mullet.
The draft starts tomorrow night at 7 PM, CDT. Make sure to join us for our live thread tomorrow night, hosted by yours truly and the fine staff of KC Kingdom. You can check out all that info right here.
Be sure to check out KC Kingdom throughout the day for news on the Chiefs, Royals, Sporting KC, Tigers, Wildcats, and Jayhawks.