ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Missouri 28, Texas A&M 21
Missouri vs. Auburn, just like everyone predicted.
Missouri’s defense shutdown Johnny Manziel and Aggies Saturday night to give the Tigers a ticket to Atlanta this weekend for the SEC title game. A win there may put the Tigers in the national championship game if one of Florida State (vs. Duke) or Ohio State (vs. Michigan State) loses. There’s an outside chance Mizzou could jump Ohio State into the number two spot with a win over Auburn, but that chance is slim.
Broncos 35, Chiefs 28
There were a lot of things to point to as to why the Chiefs lost Sunday, but the simple one is this: You can’t turn the ball over in the red zone. Alex Smith threw an interception in the end zone from Denver’s two-yard-line which cost the Chiefs seven point. Get those seven points and the Chiefs are driving for a game-winning field goal at the end of the game instead of trying to score a touchdown to tie.
A few other thoughts:
- By no means was Marcus Cooper any good on Sunday, but Brandon Flowers and Sean Smith were not much better. Flowers was responsible for two of Decker’s touchdowns, and Smith allowed a few big plays and missed a tackle that allowed Knowshon Moreno to score.
- The offensive line looked leaps and bounds better Sunday than it has at any point in the season. Part of that could be because Denver was missing two starting defensive linemen, but the o-line was still noticeably better.
- Outside of Dexter McCluster, special teams looked very good. Knile Davis had the 108-yard kick return and Junior Hemingway was all over the place making tackles.
- One would have to think the two biggest priorities this offseason will be to find a pass rushing defensive end and wide receivers who can catch. KC’s pass rush has been stifled ever since the Buffalo game, in part because there is no reason to worry about DeVito or Jackson in the passing game.
The wide receiver thing is pretty obvious at this point.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- Dayton Moore got a two-year extension that will keep him in Kansas City through 2016. (Kings of Kauffman)
- Missouri defeated Texas A&M to earn a trip to the SEC title game in Atlanta. A win could mean a BCS title game berth. (Rock M Nation)
- K-State took down Kansas in the Sunflower Showdown. Holiday Bowl could be next for the Wildcats. (KC Star)
- Kansas has a long way to go before a bowl game is a realistic thing for them. (KU Sports)
- Well, at least the offense is starting to show up for the Chiefs. (Arrowhead Addict)
- What is KC’s biggest problem heading into the final month of the season? (Arrowhead Pride)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE….
- Hawaii running back Willis Wilson died of an apparent accidental drowning. He was 21.
- One writer has Ohio State ranked 8th in the nation despite being undefeated. Mizzou is going to need more voters to think that way.
- Michael Jordan’s wife is pregnant. Jordan married Yvett Preito seven months ago.
- A great, though somber, piece on Saints rookie offensive lineman Tim Lelito.
ONE MORE THING…
Sports, man. Sports.