ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Holy mother of … where did that trade come from?
Detroit and Texas pulled off a stunner by flipping Prince Fielder and Ian Kinsler in a one-for-one deal. Rangers also get $30 million in cash to help with Fielder’s contract.
Man, the surprise of this trade has not worn off yet, but things are starting to come into better focus. First, Detroit has a lot of revamping to do outside of just a Fielder trade. Torii Hunter will be 38 and Victor Martinez will be 35 next season and playing pivotal roles in the Tigers offense. Left field is a huge question mark. The bullpen is a disaster. Max Scherzer will be a free agent after the 2014 season. There’s just a lot of things to get sorted out in Detroit this winter.
On the flip side, Texas looks like they are ready to go big or go home. Fielder may hit 50 home runs in that joke of a park in Arlington, and the Rangers are said to be heavily interested in adding another bat to go with him. Jacoby Ellsbury, Shin-Soo Choo, and Brian McCann have all been mentioned. Maybe if they add enough offense we’ll all forget that the Rangers pitching staff is starting to look shaky.
SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION OF THE DAY…
Episode three of the WalkOff Talk podcast is available to be listened to multiple formats. In fact, you can listen to it right here if you’d like.
IN OTHER NEWS….
- Chiefs signed a guy and released a guy. Seems like they do something like this every day now. (KC Star)
- Here’s a breakdown of one of the few good things the Chiefs offense did last Sunday night. (Arrowhead Addict)
- Royals made several moves in advance of the Rule 5 deadline. (Kansas City Royals Make Several Moves Before Rule 5 Deadline” href=”http://kckingdom.com/2013/11/20/royals-make-several-moves-rule-5-deadline/” target=”_blank”>KC Kingdom)
- Oklahoma will start Trevor Knight against K-State on Saturday. (Jug of Snyder)
- A quick breakdown of KU’s win over Iona. (Rock Chalk Talk)
- Former Mizzou guard Michael Dixon talks to Sam Mellinger about year away from basketball. (KC Star)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
- Jameis Winston may be in a lot of trouble soon after the results of a DNA test point to himw. He still has not been charged with a crime nor does the DNA evidence prove a crime. But it does indicate he and the woman in question were involved in some way.
- Former Kings of Kauffman editor John Allen, er, Michael Engel was given a shoutout by Deadspin for helping to unmask a fake twitter account that was spreading MLB rumors.
- One NFL scout is proclaiming that Johnny Manziel has the instincts of Larry Bird. I’m not sure what to make of that.
- You’re great sports read of the day selection: The NFL’s Modern Man.
ONE MORE THING…
I’m not going to attempt to preview this Charlie Kelly video.