No, we’re not watching a baseball game. This is indeed Kansas City Chiefs football and it’s halftime at Arrowhead Stadium! With five consecutive days with the temperature being over 90 degrees, the boys in red are in for a hot night in Kansas City.
The Chiefs responded on the Vikings’ next possession when Jaye Howard was able to strip the ball out of Cassel’s hands. The ball flopped out of the end zone, which led to a safety. 7-2 Vikings lead.
The offense made a few promising drives, but two of them ended with Alex Smith throwing interceptions in the red zone. Very unlike Smith and I don’t see this trend continuing on in the regular season.
Rookie kicker Cairo Santos is taking all of the field goal attempts tonight and made one to make it a two point game. The Vikings kicked a field goal at the end of the first half to make it 10-5. What a strange score for a football game.
Couple of notes from the first half:
- The offensive line isn’t impressing me too much. Smith has been sacked twice tonight and the pocket has collapsed too much.
- Anthony Fasano has had several impressive grabs and looks to be in good shape for this season
- De’Anthony Thomas had a 26 yard return after the safety
- Ron Parker has gotten picked on a lot this preseason, but he almost picked off Cassel on one play. A few plays later, he followed through with the interception and looked good doing so.
- Special teams is doing their part as always: Dustin Colquitt had a 55 yard punt early on in the game that pinned the Vikings on their own two yard line.
- Aside from the first Vikings drive, the Chiefs defense has looked all right.
- The offense had some good drives, but like I mentioned above, Smith threw two rare interceptions to end the hype.
- The Chiefs’ first team offense hasn’t produced a touchdown during the preseason yet (Jamaal Charles hasn’t played in two games though so keep that in mind, and Dwayne Bowe didn’t play tonight)
Keep watching and stay tuned to KC Kingdom for the post game coverage!
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook.