The Kansas City Chiefs opened their second game of the preseason much better than the first.
The Chiefs defense held the Panthers first team offense to a three-and-out. Joe Mays made a nice stop up the middle on first down, followed by a Justin Houston tackle and a throw away from Newton on third down.
The defense looked sharp again on their second series, holding the Panthers to another three-and-out. Derrick Johnson dropped what would have been an easy pick six. If DJ only had hands.. Sigh.
Moving on, the offense started off great, moving the chains for three first downs on their opening drive, ultimately stalling due to a holding call from rookie right guard, Zack Fulton. The drive ended with a beautiful 54 yard field goal from Ryan Succop.
Couple of notes from the first half,
- Alex Smith looks SO much better in game two. He looked to be in mid-season form, as he was working the pocket, finding open receivers and making great plays.
- The left side of the offensive line looks horrible right now. Fisher got blown up a couple of times and Jeff Allen looks to be on roller skates. I know this is a good defensive front, but those two HAVE to be better.
- Dwayne Bowe had an excellent first half.. Too bad he’s suspended week one.
- Ryan Succop’s 54 yard field goal was a huge make for him. He is the veteran and I’m sure the Chiefs have been leaning towards him all along. Showing the confidence from the coaching staff, and Succop making it, will go a long way in that battle.
- The defense looks fast and made a lot of sure tackles. Good thing Cam Newton was a little rusty, otherwise Kelvin Benjamin would’ve taken Husain Abdullah deep.
- Ron Parker is not the Chiefs starting option at corner… How long until they realize that?
- The Chiefs secondary in general will be a concern all year. Eric Berry coming back will definitely make a difference but, how much of a difference?
This penalty emphasis makes for a terrible football game to watch. We gotta remember, this is only the preseason and this team is without three impact starters playing. There are some concerns with this team but, we cannot over react. After all, if this was a real game, it would only be a one possession lead for the Panthers.