The Royals opened their 4-game series against Detroit with a stinker of a game. The Tigers crushed Kansas City like a big brother putting an uppity little brother in his place by winning 16-4.
This was a full blown pitching meltdown by KC. Not one single guy who went to the mound looked remotely competent. About the only positive that we can draw from the game is that both Eric Hosmer and Billy Butler went deep. That might be the only time such a thing happens this season if both continue to hit like they’ve been going through the 1st half.
Here’s to hoping this miserable game signals a turnaround for both Butler and Hosmer.
With recent signee Raul Ibanez in a 0-19 slump, the Royals might need to look at trade targets to help the offense.
Wide receiver Andre Johnson sent the rumor mill churning when reports surfaced across the web that he wants out of Houston. Of course, receiver-starved Kansas City fans could not help but hope that GM John Dorsey could somehow land the disgruntled star.
I guess we all have our dreams—but I think I’m more likely to become a billionaire than such a deal takes place. The Texans would be looking for draft picks, and do you really think that Dorsey will want to give them up after a short draft this season?
KANSAS CITY ROYALS
- Kings of Kauffman – David Hill reviews the 5 worst All-Star selections in Royals history. WARNING: this piece is not for the faint of heart
- Royals Review – Max Rieper looks at yet another Royals trade prospect: Josh Willingham:
Willingham is an 11-year veteran who has always been a low-average, high walk, good power hitter. The right-hander has a career line of .254/.360/.469 and hit a career high 35 home runs as recently as 2012. He has always been a defensive liability however, putting up negative dWAR every year since 2009, with -3.6 dWAR combined over 2012-2013.
- Pine Tar Press – Gregory Dailey writes that Raul Ibanez needs to produce soon:
After two hits in his first game with his former club and a home run in his second, Ibanez is in a 0-19 slump. He finally produced an RBI, although it was a groundout, but the fact is that Ibanez has not been as productive as the Royals had hoped he might be.
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
- Arrowhead Pride – Joel Thorman wonders what Jusiin Houston can demand in contract talks
- Arrowhead Addict – Kenny Cember tells Chiefs fans they should stop thinking about an Andre Johnson deal:
The main reason(s) the Chiefs can’t trade for Andre Johnson is because of who they need to re-sign and extend. Both outside linebacker Justin Houston and quarterback Alex Smith want (and need) contract extensions.
KANSAS STATE WILDCATS
- KStateSports.com – Wildcats football players B.J. Finney, Cody Whitehair, and Ryan Mueller earn places on watch lists for major awards:
Finney and Whitehair were named to the watch list for the Outland Trophy, presented to the nation’s most outstanding interior lineman, while Mueller is a candidate for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, presented to the nation’s most outstanding defensive player.
There you have it KC fans—the news Around the Kingdom.