The U.S. Men’s team’s run in the World Cup may have come to an end, but teams around the world have noticed Sporting KC’s Matt Besler. Expect him, and Graham Zusi, to get international offers in the upcoming weeks.
The Royals enjoy an off-day for the 4th of July, but that doesn’t stop fans from asking how their favorite team could make a run at the playoffs this season. James Shields is struggling and needs to turn around his recent run of bad games. Eric Hosmer is mostly asleep at the wheel at the plate—but has gotten on base 7 times in his last two games.
Meanwhile, the NFL suspended Chiefs lineman Rokevious Watkins for 4 games due to violation of the NFL’s drug policy.
Mizzou volleyball player Molly Kreklow has some better news: she’s been nominated for the SEC 2014 Woman of the Year
- Kansas City Star – Matt Besler drawing ‘enormous interest’ from international clubs
KANSAS CITY ROYALS
- Kings of Kauffman – Hunter Samuels reports that Royals promote prospect Christian Binford to AA
- Royals Review – Kevin Ruprecht tries to explain what’s wrong with James Shields:
So, Shields’ changeup is worse, and he doesn’t seem to have other pitches to compensate; Banny and Boddicker talked about his curveball usage declining, too. Thus, we have an average James Shields on our hands. Our defense will continue to help him out, as they do for all the pitchers, but Shields has to figure something out in order to regain his big game status.
- Royals Authority – Eric Hosmer by month: he heats up in the 2nd half’
Let’s face it, Hosmer has been flailing at the plate for much of this season and done so batting either second or third in the batting order. Ned Yost, the master of dome management, has steadfastly refused to move Eric down in the order. Will his faith start paying off?
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
- Arrowhead Addict – Rokevious Watkins suspended by NFL
- Arrowhead Addict – Ben Nielsen argues that Derrick Johnson in the best MLB in the NFL:
Johnson has been the Chiefs most consistent performer on defense since jumpstarting his career in 2009, and has in many ways been the heart and soul of this franchise. He is the longest tenured Chiefs player and plays with a very team-friendly contract. It will be interesting to see what the Chiefs do after the 2015 season when both he and Jamaal Charles are scheduled to be free agent
- Arrowhead Pride – Matt Conner asks how important is a pass rush:
A top notch pass rush will not catapult a team to the postseason all by itself. You can have a feared defensive line like the Detroit Lions of the last few seasons and still fail to get over .500. Just ask the St. Louis Rams in recent years. However, a fearsome pass rush on a team with few glaring issues can absolutely take a team over the top. The correlation to a winning record is too strong, despite outliers here and there.
- MUTIGERS.com – Molly Kreklow nominated for 2014 SEC Woman of the Year
There you have it KC fans—the news Around the Kingdom.