Graham Zusi and Matt Besler will return to KC by Thursday, and will return to the Sporting KC lineup after they have recovered from the World Cup. Kansas City’s watch party appeared on ESPN’s broadcast numerous times, showing KC to be one the ‘faces of soccer” in the US.
The Royals pulled out the 3rd game of their series against Minnesota with 4-0 win, including a solo home run by recently-acquired outfielder Raul Ibanez. The Royals won the series 2-1. They head to Cleveland for a 3-game set to continue their final road trip before the All-Star break.
- Kansas City Star – Zusi and Besler will return to KC by Thursday
- Kansas City Star – Soccer mania in KC due to Lamar Hunt’s vision and Sporting KC’s success
KANSAS CITY ROYALS
- Kings of Kauffman – Dave Hill looks at possible left-handed relievers the Royals could trade for at the deadline
- Royals Review – DiscoDave asks if James Shields is broken:
James Shields has not been pitching very well his last nine games. Over a stretch of starts from May 18th against Baltimore through Tuesday’s tilt against the Twins, Big Game Jizzle has not had a game score above 50, save his 64 he posted against the Yankees on June 8th. Over that time, his ERA has increased from 2.67 to 3.93 and he has produced a negative WPA 6 times and negative RE24 7 times.
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
- Arrowhead Addict – Austin Pitt remembers Chiefs games from his past
- Arrowhead Pride – Matt Verderame considers Jamaal Charles’ place in NFL history:
If he can reach those numbers, it would give him around 3,800 receiving and 9,500 rushing yards at age 30, totaling 13,300 all-purpose yards. A total in that range would put him in the top 50 all-time, in company such as John Riggins, Lenny Moore and Bobby Mitchell.