The United States, including Sporting KC players Graham Zusi and Matt Besler, continues group play in the World Cup Thursday morning by taking on powerful Germany in Brazil. The U.S. team had to play in steamy Manaus, had to travel, and had one fewer day to rest than Germany. Will those hardships affect their play?
The Royals continue to struggle after their 10 game winning streak. Kansas City lost yet another 1-run contest, losing 5-4 to the Dodgers on Wednesday night. The Royals are now 1-6 since the end of their winning streak.
The Chiefs now look like they will get pulled into the national debate on Native-American names for sports franchises. Kansas City’s team name has largely been ignored compared to the clearly pejorative “Redskins” name in Washington. Some activists look to change that after the Patent/Trademark Office in D.C. has revoked the Redskins trademark.
Thursdays NBA draft looms for KU hopefuls Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid. But, don’t forget about MU’s Jabari Brown. 2014′s SEC leading scorer could sneak into the first round, but most consider the 2nd round more likely.
- Kansas City Star – Graham Zusi insists that the heat of Manaus from their match against Portugal will not affect the team’s play against Germany
KANSAS CITY ROYALS
- Royals Authority – Clark Foster calls for more Jarrod Dyson in the lineup
- Kings of Kauffman – David Hill wonders if Jeremy Guthrie’s recent strong performance is a late-career breakthrough:
The key for Jeremy Guthrie, as is usually the case, involves his ability to keep the ball in the yard. Yet, given his newfound ability to miss bats and the Royals defense, Guthrie may be able to mitigate any possible damage should he give up the occasional longball. Add in his improved control, as Guthrie has walked batters at a career low 5.4% rate, and he has a formula for success.
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
- Arrowhead Addict – Laddie Morse writes about expectations for last year’s draft class in the 2014 season
- Kansas City Star – Sam Mellinger writes that the Chiefs name could come under fire soon:
“What happens there, it’s just insane the things they allow to go on,” Blackhorse says of the Chiefs and Arrowhead. “They are definitely in the group (of offensive teams), for sure.”
- KUSports.com – Andrew Wiggins tries to relax before the draft
- MUTigers.com – Interview with SEC leading scorer Jabari Brown about his draft prospects