Dec 22, 2013; Houston, TX, USA; Denver Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey (24) warms up before the game against the Houston Texans at Reliant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Thomas Campbell-USA TODAY Sports

Could Champ Bailey Help The Kansas City Chiefs?

The Denver Broncos released future Hall Of Fame corner back, Champ Bailey early Thursday morning. It’s reported that the Broncos will save $10 million in cap space with the release, something the Broncos desperately need.

The question I have is this, could Champ Bailey help the Kansas City Chiefs in any way? Bailey, 35, has no plans to retire and will become a free agent for the first time in his illustrious career. Though he is well past his prime, Bailey might have something to offer if he were to make a switch to safety or the nickel.

Kansas City is looking to replace free safety, Kendrick Lewis, as it is expected that he will become free agent as well when the new season officially begins next week. Two factors come to mind when thinking about Bailey signing with the Chiefs, one, he is older and is definitely not a long term solution. Two, how much money is he asking for because the Chiefs don’t have much to offer.

It’s a long shot that Kansas City is even considering Champ Bailey for their secondary, but imagine if he made the switch to the Chiefs and just killed the Broncos next year. I see it now, Manning drops back for the pass and IT’S INTERCEPTED! CHAMP BAILEY UP THE SIDELINE, TEN, FIVE, TOUCHDOWWWWWWN KAN-SAS CITY!

And imagine if they could win a Super Bowl! It would be the ultimate revenge for Neil Smith in the late 90′s when he made the jump from KC to Denver. But I digress.

It’s such an intriguing thought, and I haven’t been able to get it out of my head since the announcement of the 12 time pro bowler’s release. So, I’m curious, would you consider Champ Bailey for the Chiefs secondary if the money was right? Sound off below, and follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook to get the best content on all things KC sports related.

Dick's Sporting Goods presents "Hell Week":

Tags: Champ Bailey Kansas City Chiefs

14 Comments on Could Champ Bailey Help The Kansas City Chiefs?

1. Joel Wagler says:

I think he is done!

• Josh Michaels says:

I agree, but he doesn’t think so. It likely won’t happen, but it’s still an interesting thought

• Horace Lee Madre Jr says:

No it isn’t! He’s been done for years

• Austin New says:

Even if he is done, it would still be nice to have him as a mentor for our, as of now, young, sucky secondary. He was obviously one of the best in the game, and even tho his body lacks the nessecary skill now due to age, doesn’t mean his brain is bad. I would love if the Chiefs could sign him cheap and just let the youngins pick at his brain.

2. Horace Lee Madre Jr says:

Are you people CRAZY!?! Every dude that gets cut from another isn’t a good possible fit for our CHIEFS! Remember a lot of guys are being cut because they don’t have “it” anymore. Chump hasn’t had it in the last 3 seasons.

• Josh Michaels says:

It’s just a thought, that’s all. I clearly stated that it more than likely will not happen. Sounds like Atlanta is a top landing spot for Bailey. I don’t think he’s worth the money, and I agree that he’s been done. But that doesn’t mean you or I are right. Who knows, maybe the guy has a stellar year next season at a different position. It’s definitely an intriguing thought.

3. paul pace says:

He is at around 31 years of age. Not worth the money he will be asking for.

4. PunjabiPete says:

5. tm1946 says:

Only get him is social security is paying his salary. Look in the dictionary (if you still have one) and look for NFL veteran’s granddad, there is his pic.

6. Brian Dempsey says:

Sorry, but the passage of time has transformed Bailey from Champ to chimp as a player.

He might have possibilities as a DB coach.

7. ladner morse says:

100,000,000 times YES!
    Just to be clear… yes.

8. thabear04 says:

No…. How many games he played last year… I’ll pass on him and get someone else who willing to stay healthy