Kansas City Chiefs Vs San Diego Chargers, Game 2: Chiefs Report Card

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse


Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Chase Daniel (10) Mandatory Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports


The Kansas City Chiefs (11-5) fell 27-24 to the San Diego Chargers (9-7) in overtime Sunday afternoon in what is turning into a bit of a controversy. The officials did not have their finest moments at the end of regulation, or in the first few minutes of the overtime. Both mistakes may have cost the Chiefs the win, and the Pittsburgh Steelers a playoff birth.

With less than 10 seconds to go in the game, the Chiefs lined up to kick what they hoped was a game winning field goal form 41-yards out. Ryan Succop had plenty of leg but pushed the ball right, just missing the upright. The catch here was the Chargers lined up 8 players on one side of the ball, which is illegal in the NFL. The Chiefs should have been awarded another kick, this time from 36-yards out, and if Succop would have connected on that easier attempt, the game would have been over. Alas, the officiating crew blew the call as badly as Succop did.

In overtime, the Chiefs stopped the Chargers in the first set of downs, forcing San Diego into punt formation. In what can only be termed as an incredibly brave call, the Chargers hiked the ball to the up man, Eric Weddle, who plunged into the line on the fake punt play. In the ensuing scrum, Weddle appeared to have been stopped initially but a late push edged him to the first down marker. At this point, the ball came out into the hands of Cyrus Gray, who promptly scampered into the end zone for an apparent game winning touchdown.

With no explanation whatsoever, the ball was given back to the Chargers, with a first down. If the pile was still moving enough to give Weddle a first down, then it was moving enough for him to have fumbled the ball. Replay clearly showed he was not down when the ball came out. The officials neither checked the replay, or gave any kind of explanation.

San Diego went on to kick a field goal later in that drive, and eventually won the game.

The ending marred a tough outing by the Chiefs reserves. With their place secure in the playoff picture, Head Coach Andy Reid rightfully decided to hold out almost all of his starters. The reserves, some playing for the first time all year, acquitted themselves quite well as they fought hard throughout the game. San Diego could not lose and make the playoffs, so the reserves were facing the full force of the Chargers’ starters

Click “Next” to see how the Kansas City Chiefs graded out this week against the San Diego Chargers.

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

comments powered by Disqus