A gritty win over the Tennessee Titans on Sunday gave the Chiefs their first 5-0 start since 2003.
- Donnie Avery has bruised shoulder after landing on it awkwardly after a long reception near the end of the second quarter. X-rays were negative.
- New Orleans, Denver, and Kansas City are the three remaining unbeatens after New England and Seattle lost their games on Sunday.
“In the fourth quarter, we came out and made it happen, and that’s when you’ve got to stand up and be a real football player and take over.” – Jamaal Charles
“All I know is I got my hands on it and I wasn’t letting go.” – Marcus Cooper on his fourth quarter interception
“People see him and say ‘Why didn’t he make that cut, why didn’t he break that?’ But when you’ve got blisters man, that’s like running with two broken feet. That guy, you’ve got to give it up to him. He’ll do whatever it takes to help the team win. That’s why he’s our star running back.” – Dwayne Bowe on Charles’ foot blisters
“I fell in an awkward position. I felt like I didn’t have any control over the ball … my body was all messed up.” – Charles on his fumble
“That’s my fault. A player like myself, you get nosey. Chris Johnson was just trying to block me. He wasn’t going out for a route. I just stayed on him a little bit, Fitzpatrick started running around and … I just kind of left him and they made a good play. In that situation, I know next time, just stay with your guy until he crosses that line (of scrimmage).” Derrick Johnson on Chris Johnson’s 49-yard touchdown catch
“We didn’t play Titans football today. We didn’t execute. We didn’t make plays. We didn’t help our quarterback out, and that goes for everybody on the offense. This one is tough to accept.” – Titans tight end Delanie Walker
“He’s a large man, and he knows how to use his body and size. He’s good in the middle. That’s the reason he’s gotten the sacks he has. He’s just a force.” Titans left tackle Michael Roos
5-0 – HOW ‘BOUT THOSE CHIEFS?
- KC was 1-12 on third down on Sunday.
- KC now owns the record for best start after winning two or fewer games the previous season. Detroit previously held the record, starting 4-0 in 1980.
- Jamaal Charles is now the third leading rushing in Chiefs history with 4,933 yards. Larry Johnson (6,015) and Priest Holmes (6,070) are the two in front of him.
- Per Darren Rovell, of the 75 NFL teams who started the season 5-0, 89% made the playoffs, 37% made the Super Bowl, 17% won it all. (Dream.)
90 percent of 5-0 teams make the playoffs. Hello, Chiefs! http://t.co/djft3MvWAe
— Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) October 7, 2013
A win for both Sporting & Chiefs… THAT’S what I call a great weekend! — Jimmy Nielsen (@PumaNielsen1) October 6, 2013
The chiefs r damn good……period — Robb Heineman (@RobbHeineman) October 6, 2013
Living in manhattan has really made me a chiefs man.
— Daniel #LiFE Sams (@DS4ms) October 6, 2013
Dunta Robinson hasn’t played much today but I noticed he was one of the first guys out there to congratulate the D after that play. #Chiefs
— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) October 6, 2013
— Tim VanderPol (@fthead88) October 7, 2013