ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Wil Myers beat the Cleveland Indians, 4-0, in the wild card play-in game to advance to the ALDS against the Boston Red Sox.
SHEAHON ZENGER, Kansas’ Athletic Director, has his sights on renovating Memorial Stadium. The University is building something called “Rock Chalk Plaza” which would house track and field, soccer, and softball. When that is completed, which should be before the KU Relays this spring, it will open the door for Kansas to make heavy renovations to the stadium in order to make it a football specific building.
Here’s what Zenger told the Kansas City Star.
“No idea at this point is too small or too big,” Zenger said. “They will be engaging our stakeholders over the next few months, and they’ll come back to us with their ideas. The reality of it is, it will be an expensive project. And it will be a massive fundraising campaign.”
Coming up with enough cash to fund a stadium overhaul could be a problem for KU given the lack of on-field success. But “Jayhawk Nation,” as Zenger called it, does have a better understanding of how important football is to the health and life of an athletic program.
Or to put it another way: The health and life of Kansas Men’s Basketball.
How this progresses will be a really strong indicator of KU’s commitment to having a better football program and athletic department.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- Alex Smith’s long road to becoming the Chiefs starting quarterback. (Arrowhead Addict)
- Alex Gordon’s place in Royals WAR lore. (Kings of Kauffman)
- Adjustments K-State needs to make to get back to winning football games. (Jug of Snyder)
- Grading Missouri’s defense. (Rock M Nation)
- A round table on KU football. (Rock Chalk Talk)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
- Really unique and cool pictures of athletes doing random things in NYC and Chicago. The train one is my favorite.
- A new book claims the NFL purposefully ignored and discredited scientific research about concussions and brain damage. “League of Denial: The NFL, Concussions and the Battle for Truth” comes out October 8.
- Bill Barnwell declares his NFL Quarter-Season award winners. Couple of Chiefs are named.
- Alex Rodriguez says he was tricked into taking steroids. Of course you were, AROD.
- Native Americans are getting hit hard by the government shutdown.
ONE MORE THING…
A Mizzou grad found a creative – and viral – way to quit her job. This video has almost 11 million hits in less than a week.