ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Ned Yost received a two-year contract extension to remain the manager of the Kansas City Royals. Sigh…
This is s a complicated situation in the sense that, while the Yost is an awful in-game manager, he led the team to their best record since 1989. Letting a guy go after that would not be looked upon kindly by other baseball people who may one day be in the Royals crosshairs. Changing the perception of the Royals to the rest of the baseball world includes re-signing a manager who just took a 90+ loss team to 86 wins. It had to be done.
If you’re looking for positives, the contract is only two years, which means firing him after next season if the team performs terribly wouldn’t cost the Royals very much. It also means the Royals next manager won’t be Jason Kendall, which was a real possibility if the Royals had let Yost walk.
Oh, and the Pirates beat Cincinnati, 6-2, to move on to the NLDS against St. Louis. Hence the double-fisting beer picture.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- K-State’s path to a bowl game. (Jug of Snyder)
- Passing out helmet stickers for Mizzou’s win over Arkansas State. (Truman’s Tales)
- Ranking KU’s top 10 players. (Rock Chalk Talk)
- Wrapping up the Royals 2013 season. (Kings of Kauffman)
- Chiefs land in top five of ESPN’s power rankings. (Arrowhead Addict)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
- Holy crap this is insane. 30 years ago, she killed her husband, he killed his wife and kids – both meet, get married, live a long life together.
- Terry Francona on the Indians success this year: “We stayed away from chicken and beer.”
- Dallas Latos, wife of Reds pitcher Mat Latos, claims a fan attacked her at PNC Park.
- The field report on Bernie Kosar’s DUI arrest is pretty good.
- Hawk Harrelson will serve as a guest analyst on MLB Network during the postseason. I’ll probably be watching less MLBN then.
ONE MORE THING…
Oh no, Jordy Nelson. Why? Just… why?