One of the great things about sports is how it can be used to help escape and recover from things like what happened 12 years ago. Watching these clips only reinforces this idea for me.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Royals 6, Indians 3
Maybe, just maybe, Luke Hochevar knows how pitch out of the bullpen. Additionally – and I know this sounds insane – he might be our best eighth inning guy. I know, I know! Don’t attack me all at once.
Hochevar struck out all five batters he faced between the seventh and eighth innings in order to stop the bleeding caused by Kelvin Herrera, who allowed two runs on three hits in only a 1/3 of an inning. Greg Holland did Greg Holland things in the ninth to secure the win.
Again… Luke Hochevar.
The win was accompanied by a Tampa Bay Rays loss, allowing the Royals to pull within three games of the second wild card spot. In terms of short-term rooting interests, the Royals need to win, have Tampa lose the next two to Boston, and have Baltimore and New York split their games on Wednesday and Thursday. Assuming those things happen, Kansas City will be 1.5 games back of the second wild card on Friday morning.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- Brandon Carr is looking forward to his Kansas City return. (KC Star)
- Dayton Moore’s quotes seem optimistic about keep Ervin Santana. (KC Star)
- The Royals sent out postseason ticket information. (Kings of Kauffman)
- Chiefs cut Tommie Draheim and Matt Reynolds, sign Jordan Miller. (Arrowhead Addict)
- John Hubert aiming for 3,000 career rushing yards. (Jug of Snyder)
- A quick look at Rice’s offense, the team Kansas will be playing Saturday. (Through the Phog)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
- Oklahoma State paid players and used sex to recruit players. Sports Illustrated has the report.
- Taijuan Walker makes people look silly.
- Team USA clinched a World Cup berth with their 2-0 win over Mexico. Omar Gonzalez was pleased.
- Doug Gottlieb on Johnny Manziel and entitlement among college players.
- Will the new World Trade Center (Freedom Tower) ever be safe? Scott Raab with an interesting piece.
- The women at Ohio State are distraught about the engagement of Aaron Craft.
- A Pennsylvania high school football player may face charges for beating another player with his helmet.
ONE MORE THING…
This song is amazing. It’s parody is equally awesome. (H/T The Big Lead)