ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Royals 5, Tigers 2
KC’s hokie-pokie of a season continued with a series win over the Tigers over the weekend. The Royals are now 3.5 games back of the wild card with six games against the Indians on tap over the next 10 days. This could end up being one of the most improbable month of September this area has ever seen or the franchise’s first Len Elliott moment in decades. Either way, it means the Royals are relevant. Unbelievable.
Said important series against the Indians begins tonight in Cleveland. Tampa Bay starts a three-game set against Boston while Baltimore and New York start a four-game set. A sweep over Cleveland, a Boston sweep over Tampa Bay, and a Baltimore/New York split could mean the Royals are within 0.5 games of the wild card by Friday morning. So there is your dream scenario for Monday morning.
First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 tonight with Ervin Santana taking the hill.
CHIEFS bolted out of the 2013 gate with a 28-2 win over the awful Jacksonville Jaguars. Alex Smith threw two touchdown passes, Jamaal Charles ran for a TD, Justin Houston had three sacks, and Tamba Hali had a pick-six.
However, the story of the game to me was the play of Dontari Poe. Poe finished with six tackles, 1.5 sacks, a tackle for loss, and a pass defended, while wreaking havoc in the middle of Jacksonville’s line. In some respects, Poe was just as responsible for Houston’s sacks as anyone else. (Though Houston was very good on Sunday.)
If Poe is going to be this kind of player for the Chiefs this season then look out of KC’s defense. They have playmakers on every level of the defense now.
IN OTHER NEWS…
– Chiefs take first step to exercising their demons. (KC Star)
– Indians say they need to take care of business against the Royals. (Ball Star)
– Chiefs defense was insane against Jacksonville. (Arrowhead Addict)
– Keeping Salvador Perez healthy has to be a priority. (Kings of Kauffman)
– K-State made positive strides on Saturday night. (Jug of Snyder)
– Three things from KU’s win on Saturday. (Through the Phog)
– Injuries starting to become a problem again for Missouri. (KC Star)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
– Peyton Manning was almost a Tennessee Titan. As in, the contract was agreed upon and a plane was on the way to pick him up.
– Miley Cyrus’ twerking was not nearly as awful as this woman’s.
– Joe Posnanski is good at the writing thing.
– Justin Houston wants to break the all-time sacks record.
– Serena Williams won the US Open for the fifth time. She has 17 total grand slam titles.
ONE MORE THING…
Eminem was in the booth during the Michigan/Notre Dame game. It was fantastic.