ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
The Royals start a key stretch of games against sub-.500 teams today starting with the Chicago White Sox. First pitch is scheduled for 7:10.
Sixteen of KC’s next 17 games will be against teams who are below .500 with the Rays make-up game being the only winning team the Royals will face. The need for the Royals to dominate the next two weeks is critical if they want any shot at earning the second wild card spot.
Clark Fosler had a really good piece yesterday on Royals Review breaking down the math of the Royals playoff chances. Essentially, the Royals are going to have to win about 91 games this season if they want to be in the wild card discussion. This means the Royals are going to have to finish the season 27-12 in order to get to magic number of 91. That’s not going to be easy. This is why the Royals need to win as many games as they can during this soft part of their schedule.
Another 17 of 20 stretch is what Kansas City needs in order to get to the 27-12 baseline. The reality is pulling off another stretch like that seems unlikely at best. Odds are against the Royals right now, but that’s no different than they were a month ago.
Hey, anything can happen.
THE CHIEFS traded Jonathan Baldwin to the San Francisco 49ers yesterday for A.J Jenkins. Jenkins was San Francisco’s first round pick in 2012 but only appeared in four games. He is still looking for his first NFL reception.
IN OTHER NEWS…
– A.J Jenkins trade was as much about Alex Smith as it was Jon Baldwin. (Arrowhead Addict)
– Some optimistic vibes about the Chiefs chances in the AFC West. (Arrowhead Addict)
– Fans react to the Baldwin trade. (Arrowhead Addict)
– Michael Engel gives his thoughts on the Royals playoff chances. (Kings of Kauffman)
– A roundup of the Miguel Tejada storylines. (Royals Review)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
– Bill Barnwell begins his quest to kill the notion that momentum matters in the NFL.
– The battle between ESPN and Fox Sports 1 is going to be interesting.
– Yasiel Puig is not pleased with the media. Why? Who knows.
– After pressure from the media and fans, the ex-marine who was declared ineligible to play has been reinstated.
– If you were not planning on having kids, here’s another reason to add to the list of reasons why you are not.
ONE MORE THING…
This guys is everything Jonathan Baldwin wishes he could be.