ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Tigers 4, Royals 1
It wasn’t close. Yes, the Royals had a one-run lead after the first inning, but the issue was never really in doubt. Detroit dominated the game, and had the Royals on their heels all night. After a 30-pitch first inning, Anibal Sanchez cruised to 7.1 innings of one-run baseball, while the Tiger bullpen shut the Royals down without an issue.
If the Royals are to have any shot at winning the division, they must win these next four games. And if they want to stay in playoff contention, then they need to find a way to pull out three of the next four. I’m going to say it now: If Chris Getz and one of the August trade acquisitions are playing second and third for the next four games, then the Royals have not shot at pulling out three of four. Especially if Getz is leading off.
A double-header is lined up for this afternoon and evening. Justin Verlander will pitch against Danny Duffy in game one, while James Shields will take game two against Jose Alvarez.
ROYALS NUGGET: The Royals are 47-36 when Alex Gordon leads off, 15-21 when he does not. (H/T Greg Smith, @GSmithKC)
CHIEFS open up their home schedule tonight against Alex Smith’s former team, the San Francisco 49ers. We’ve got a preview for you here as well as a few pieces lined up for this afternoon. Until then, here’s a boatload of links to fill the time.
CHIEFS GAMEDAY LINKS…
– Looks like Donnie Avery has the inside track on the number two receiver position. (Arrowhead Addict)
– Expect the starters to play the full first half tonight. (Arrowhead Pride)
– Final thoughts on Andy Reid’s first training camp with the Chiefs. (Arrowhead Addict)
– If you are going to the game tonight, don’t forget about the new ban on bags. (KC Star)
– The 49ers defense will be coming after Alex Smith. (Arrowhead Addict)
– Five things to watch tonight. (Red Zone)
– Chiefs rookies victims of the popcorn prank. (Arrowhead Addict)
IN OTHER NEWS…
– Here’s your Kansas State football season preview. (ESPN Big 12 Blog)
– Observations from Mizzou football’s scrimmage. (KC Star)
– Danny Duffy talks about his start this afternoon in this podcast. (Kansas City Baseball Vault)
– Snap back to reality. (Sam Mellinger)
– Aslam Sterling cuts weight to earn the starting tackle job. (KC Star)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
– Boulevard Brewery was named a top 15 craft brewery in the United States. California and Colorado breweries dominate the list.
– I want to buy all of these shirts. Seriously.
– Bud Selig defends the 211-game suspension for A-Rod. I wish we could give Bud Selig a 211 year suspension (you know he’ll live that long).
– I’m not sure how LeSean McCoy did not break a leg or tear something here. Amazing run.
GIFS OF THE WEEK…
Here are two bunt attempts. One was in the Major Leagues, the other in Japan. Which one is worse?
ONE MORE THING…
Whoa, wait, what just happened?