ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Royals 6, Marlins 2
Chris Getz had three hits and stole a base to lead a 6-7-8-9 group that went 7-for-15 with four runs scored, four RBI, and two triples. This season is weird.
Wade Davis gave up just two runs in six innings while picking up his sixth win of the season. This season is weird.
The win plus losses by Detroit and Cleveland allowed to Royals to leap into second place in the American League Central, and fourth place in the race for one of two wild card spots. KC is now 6.5 games back of Detroit and 4.5 games out of the top wild card position. This is a weird season.
ROYALS NUGGET: Since the All-Star break, the Royals have outscored their opponents 109 to 69. Decent.
KC will face off against rookie sensation Jose Fernandez (2.58 ERA, 1.040 WHIP, 143 k in 132.2 IP) tonight at 7:10. Bruce Chen goes for the Royals.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- Jamaal Charles hurt his foot in practice yesterday morning, but he appears to be okay. (KC Kingdom)
- Don’t forget the defense. (Arrowhead Addict)
- Smart and accurate or Captain Checkdown? Breaking down Alex Smith. (Arrowhead Addict)
- The Hunt for Blue October. (Kings of Kauffman)
- Mizzou is looking to open up its safety valve. (KC Star)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
- The history of the Manziel family is wild. “Their fortune was indeed made in oil—wildcatting, specifically—but there were also family sidelines in cockfighting, small-time grifting, match-fixing, and, if you believe the federal indictments, cocaine-trafficking and murder.”
- The good Royals vs. the bad Royals: An analysis.
- Authorities are giving a Beijing man 15 days to tear down a mountain.
- I’m not entirely sure how Jose Iglesias made this throw. Still threw it harder than Chris Getz.
ONE MORE THING…
Blaine’s a real American… (h/t Deadspin)