ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Royals 5, Twins 2
Alex Gordon homered and doubled, Danny Duffy struck out seven in his season debut, and Alcides Escobar drove in two in the Royals win over the Twins last night. The victory was huge from a momentum standpoint after KC was crushed by Minnesota 7-0 on Tuesday night.
There is a case to be made Wednesday’s win was one of the most important wins of the season for the Royals. Dropping a series against a poor Twins team would have been a dagger in the progress the Royals had made towards earning a Wild Card bid. KC has to avoid losing series to bad teams, and win like this helps keep the momentum going in the right direction.
Boston will be in Kansas City for the next four days starting tonight. Jon Lester will be facing off against Bruce Chen, with first pitch scheduled for 7:10 p.m.
ROYALS NUGGET: The Royals have won 15 of their last 19 games, which means Dayton Moore’s prediction of #15of20 has come true. As a result, let me take a sentence to apologize to Dayton Moore for mocking him after he initially made this comment.
Dayton Moore: I apologize for mocking you after you said the Royals would do something they haven’t done in a decade. I was wrong.
IN OTHER NEWS…
– Nico Johnson says Derrick Johnson and Justin Houston have been pushing him to be better during training camp. (Arrowhead Addict)
– A breakdown of the key NFL rule changes for the 2013 season. (Arrowhead Addict)
– Lorenzo Cain’s defense has been huge in the Royals turnaround. (Kings of Kauffman)
– Charlie Weis is ready to see improvement after rebuilding the roster. (KC Star)
– John Hubert wants to break 1,000 yards this season. (KC Star)
– Missouri’s offensive line is healthy (for once). (KC Star)
– With the return of Danny Duffy, and soon the return of Felipe Paulino, the Royals will have two of the hardest throwing starters in baseball. (Figgy & Smitty)
– Sporting KC had a huge win to start the Champions League last night. Here is their running diary.
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
– The “Big Monday” schedule was released for the men’s basketball season. KU is on four times, K-State twice.
– A fan rushed the pitch during a Chelsea/Real Madrid match to give Ronaldo a hug. Watch the video here.
– The secret world of teen hit men. I have a knew view of middle school now.
– Could Tulsa end up in a BCS game this year? Yes, Tulsa.
– Mike Trout may be better this year than he was last year. Same can’t be said for the Angels.
– The NCAA is a mess. An absolute mess.
ONE MORE THING…
If you haven’t seen it yet, Stephen Colbert’s dance video for “Get Lucky” is pretty great.