ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Royals 6, Mets 2
Another post All-Star break game, another post All-Star break win. KC is now 13-3 since the All-Star break and are only 4.5 games back of the second wild card spot in the American League. The Royals now return to Kansas City for a crucial 10-game homestand which may mean the difference between meaningful September baseball or pseudo-meaningful September baseball.
This will not be the last time (hopefully) you will hear this kind of hyperbole from Royals bloggers, but as the season gets deeper and the race gets tighter, so too does the meaning of the games ahead for the Royals in their schedule. The need for the Royals to finish no worse than 6-4 against Minnesota, Boston, and Miami is very high as this 10-game homestand is immediately followed by five-game series against Detroit. The more games the Royals win on this homestand then the more it will change the value of the five-game series against Detroit. If the Royals lose a bunch of games then the Detroit series becomes as last ditch effort to save the season, but KC wins a bunch of games then the five-game road series could end up flipping the standings.
The margin of error gets smaller the later we get into the season. It will be interesting to see how the Royals handle the pressure.
Royals Nugget: The Royals have a high winning percentage than the New York Yankees in August for the first time since August 6, 1992. This season is weird.
IN OTHER NEWS…
– Vahe Gregorian defends the Wil Myers trade. (KC Star)
– Chiefs release their first depth chart with few surprises. (Arrowhead Addict)
– Former Chiefs nose tackle Curley Culp was inducted into the Hall of Fame over the weekend. (Arrowhead Addict)
– The Royals winning narrative. (Kings of Kauffman)
– Royals minor league report for August 4th. (Kings of Kauffman)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
– AROD is going to get suspended today. Though most anticipate he will appeal and be in the Yankees lineup tonight.
– Mark Titus, an Ohio State alum, explains why Greg Oden chose Miami.
– Johnny Manziel may have autographed memorabilia for profit and that is a bad thing according to the NCAA. The NCAA is such a joke.
– SI’s Richard Deitsch asked his twitter followers to tweet pictures of the “best moment of their life.” His followers did not disappoint.
– Jadeveon Clowney flipped a blocking sled in practice. You can watch it here.
– There are a ton of Royals pictures in this gallery. Like, maybe way more than their should be.
ONE MORE THING…
This is a one-pitch strikeout. This is an announcing crew having no clue what just happened. This is the explanation.