ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
ORIOLES 9, ROYALS 2
Wade Davis, discuss.
One would think we cannot be too far away from a Danny Duffy promotion. If this season is still about winning, as Moore said, then Davis cannot stay in the rotation. Luis Mendoza didn’t look much better either, allowing 5 runs in 3.1 innings.
Additionally, Matt Garza may or may not have been traded yesterday. The haul for him included either four or five prospects, including a few pieces that have seen time in the major leagues. None of them are particularly high-level prospects – Mike Olt is the highest – but the sheer numbers received from Texas by Chicago should be of great value. Especially since Garza has just two months remaining on his contract.
The Royals could get a similar package for Ervin Santana. Either they can play the numbers game the way Chicago did or they can reduce the number of prospects but get higher regarded ones. The point is there is a haul to be had this deadline with Santana that would be worth more than the draft pick the Royals would get for him. KC should sell him.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- Quarterbacks and rookies are officially in St. Joseph now. The rest of the team shows up Friday. (KC Star)
- Sporting Kansas City has reached an extension deal with manager Peter Vermes. Robb Heineman says it was a “no-brainer” of a decision. (KC Star)
- Andy Reid says camp is going to be tough. (Arrowhead Addict)
- Bill Snyder made just $6,000 in his first coaching gig. I assume the year was 1903. (KC Star)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
- Ryan Braun was suspended the rest of the season for his role in the Biogenesis scandal. Braun and the Brewers got off easy.
- How Peter King became the NFL’s Bob Woodward…and Monday Morning Quarterback.
- Here’s Bill Barnwell’s NFL Trade Value (Part I) column with notes from Bill Simmons. I can see two Chiefs being on this list – Justin Houston and Jamaal Charles – once it is finished.
- Prince William and Kate Middleton had a boy. I hope they name him Joffrey.
ONE MORE THING…
These puppies found a new chew toy.