ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
TIGERS 4, ROYALS 1
Bad news: Winning the series wasn’t/isn’t good enough to save the Royals season. KC absolutely had to sweep this series in order to get back to 5 games behind just to remain in the discussion. Now they are 7 games back and have three fewer games to make up the ground.
The best way to sum this up is with a tweet from Matt Davis:
— Matt Davis (@KCRoyalFan) July 22, 2013
An argument will be made that because the Royals have 11 games remaining with the Tigers, they are still in the thick of things. Well if the Royals are only going to make up ground by beating the Tigers and staying on pace with them outside of those 11 games, KC will have to go 9-2 against Detroit just to tie them for the same record. That’s not happening, at least not with the way the Royals are currently constructed.
Oh, and don’t forget about the Cleveland Indians, too, who are 5.5 games ahead of KC for second place.
The Royals could sell Ervin Santana and bullpen pieces while still having a shot at the .500 record Dayton Moore covets so much. But any ideas of a division title or a wild card spot are both out of the question at this point.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- Rookies and quarterbacks report today for Chiefs training camp. (KC Star)
- The new “mid-west coast” offense. (Arrowhead Addict)
- Ervin Santana’s value in a trade. (Kings of Kauffman)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
- Peter King’s new website launches today.
- The quarterback championship belt. Surprise, Matt Cassel didn’t make it.
- Jonah Keri revisits the James Shields trade. It is only making me more frustrated.
- The Top 100 most powerful and influential bald men in the world. Sadly, Joel did not make the list.
- Oh boy…or girl. Whatever.
ONE MORE THING…
“She has quite the uterus.”