ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Dayton Moore did a mini press round yesterday and it did not settle well on the internets. There will be more discussion about it on talk radio today and in blog post around the Kansas City sports blogosphere so get up to date by reading these two stories by Jeffrey Flanagan and Bob Dutton. Fun, fun, fun.
Kansas City starts their final 70-game stretch tonight with a massive series against the Detroit Tigers. At six games under .500 and eight games back of first place – which is held by the Tigers – the Royals absolutely cannot lose this series. One could even go as far as to say they need to sweep this series if they are going to get themselves back into any kind of playoff discussion.
As things stand right now after 90 games, things do not look good. The offense is averaging only 3.97 runs per game (12th in AL), run out three starting pitchers with a below league average ERA, and do not have anything in their farm system ready to come up to fill the holes that are prevalent throughout the roster. Other than that things are fine.
Yes, a .500 season is still possible, but six games under through 90 games is not a good sign for the next 70 games.
First pitch tonight is scheduled for 7:10 p.m. at Kauffman Stadium.
Oh, and Chris Getz is back.
IN OTHER NEWS…
– KOK hands out some first half awards. (Kings of Kauffman)
– Chris Getz and Kelvin Herrera up, Johnny Giavotella down. (Kings of Kauffman)
– A look at the Chiefs special teams. (Arrowhead Addict)
– The three most important road games. (Arrowhead Addict)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
– AL first half awards. There is a Royals mention.
– Hunter S. Thompson’s birthday was yesterday. He wrote one of the best obituaries ever on Richard Nixon. “SUBJECT: THE DEATH OF RICHARD NIXON: NOTES ON THE PASSING OF AN AMERICAN MONSTER…. HE WAS A LIAR AND A QUITTER, AND HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN BURIED AT SEA…. BUT HE WAS, AFTER ALL, THE PRESIDENT.”
– Rany is on the SELL! SELL! SELL! bandwagon. This was written before all of the Dayton Moore chaos happened.
– If you have an ESPN Insiders account then you will get to read about how KU and KSU each had players mentioned in the top 15 most impactful transfers list. If you do not then you will not be reading this link.
ONE MORE THING…
Here is video of a soccer player kicking his goalkeeper in the face. Happy Friday!