ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Yankees 8, Royals 4
Derek Jeter went 1-for-4 in his 2013 season debut. He also scored a run and cured cancer.
Ervin Santana was left in for about five or six batters too long as the Yankees poured it on in the fourth inning on the strength of three walks. Lyle Overbay is also Babe Ruth, apparently, when he plays the Royals. He had a run scored and two RBI today and batted .320/.370/.760 (!) with 3 HR, 2 2B, 12 RBI, 5 runs scored. I mean…wow.
Kansas City starts a three game series against the Cleveland Indians tonight. It is their final three games before the All-Star break. The Royals have to sweep the Indians if they want to be at .500 by the break.
Royals Nugget: Mike Moustakas is 0-for-28 with four walks and a hit-by-pitch in 33 plate appearances with runners in scoring position and two out. He is four-for-62 this season with RISP.
IN OTHER NEWS…
– Deadline for Branden Albert to agree to a long-term deal with the Chiefs is nearing. (KC Star)
– Part II of Sam Mellinger’s Chiefs schedule breakdown. (KC Star)
– Derek Jeter, Derek Jeter, Derek Jeter, Derek Jeter, Derek Jeter. Also, Derek Jeter. (Kings of Kauffman)
– Royals minor league update. (Kings of Kauffman)
– A lot of people think the Chiefs can make the playoffs this year. Of course, they said that last year, too. (Arrowhead Addict)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
– Jim Leyland went a bit crazy in yesterday’s loss to Chicago. I have no idea what Adam Dunn and Torii Hunter were doing.
– Neil deGrasse Tyson is awesome. Here is Tyson saying awesome things.
– A list of the worst rappers of all-time. The Black Eye Peas should have been number one.
– “My baby is on fire!” Soap operas are fun.
– The guy taking over the job for Chip Kelly at Oregon has a tough road ahead of him. He shouldn’t get too comfortable as Kelly will likely be getting his job back in three years.
ONE MORE THING…
The Jayhawks new uniforms are interesting.