ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Royals 3, Yankees 1
I don’t want to alarm anyone but the Royals are back to within one game of .500 again. If they go 3-2 in their final five games before the All-Star break the Royals will be .500 and right in the middle of the AL Central race. Whoa.
David Lough and Billy Butler each had solo home runs while James Shields was dominate after a rocky first inning in the win over the Yankees. Lorenzo Cain helped keep the Royals in the game with spectacular defense in centerfield and Greg Holland shut things down in the ninth for his 22nd save. CC Sabathia pitched all nine innings in the loss.
The Royals are now 5-3 in this stretch of 20 games against tough opponents. If they continue this pace it is going to be really interesting to see what Dayton Moore does at the trade deadline.
Royals Nugget: James Shields should consider throwing a simulated inning in the bullpen before his starts. Shields has allowed 16 of his 46 runs in the first inning, accounting for 35% of his runs allowed – a 7.57 ERA. It doesn’t seem to matter too much of late though as the Royals have eight-straight games started by Shields after beginning the year 3-8 in his starts.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- Sam Mellinger explains the good and the bad of Twitter. (KC Star)
- Missouri hopes Blue Springs South’s Kendall Blanton is a diamond in the rough. (KC Star)
- Grantland breaks down the Chiefs playoff hopes. (Grantland)
- All kinds of Royals nuggets. (Kings of Kauffman)
- Chiefs AFC West Fear Factors (Arrowhead Addict)
- The untold story of the Bat Boy during the infamous Pine Tar Game. (Wall Street Journal)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
- Stunning feature on one of the more famous Boston Bombing victims. Such a crazy story.
- Frank Sinatra has a cold. “When a musician friend’s house was destroyed and his wife was killed in a Los Angeles mud slide a little more than a year ago, Sinatra personally came to his aid, finding the musician a new home, paying whatever hospital bills were left unpaid by the insurance, then personally supervising the furnishing of the new home down to the replacing of the silverware, the linen, the purchase of new clothing.”
- People are naming their kids Katniss and Django. People are stupid.
- 40 signs you are a Buzzfeed writer and you are running out of list ideas. My favorite is number 13.
GIF OF THE WEEK….
All of Chris Davis’ home runs.
TWEET OF THE WEEK…
Come on ppl – I know that James Shields is a Royal but he helped @Raysbaseball by BEATING THE YANKEES . thnx
— Dick Vitale (@DickieV) July 10, 2013
ONE MORE THING…