ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Braves 4, Royals 3
Elliot Johnson and Jarrod Dyson’s inability to get the ball in play in the ninth inning cost the Royals a chance to – at worst – move into extra innings and potentially win the game when they came to the plate with runners on first and third with no outs. To our dismay neither managed to get the ball in play as both struck out. Atlanta intentionally walked Alex Gordon to get to Alcides Escobar who flew out to right.
Kansas City is now 35-39 on the season even though they have a plus-seven run differential and have allowed the fewest runs in the American League. Based on their plus-seven run differential Kansas City should be 38-36 and 3.5 game behind Detroit for first place. Instead they are 6.5 back and four games under .500.
This has been one frustrating season.
Royals Nugget: On the positive side of things, Eric Hosmer has hit three home runs in his last 11 games after hitting one home run in his first 61 games.
Before the game KC made a bunch of roster moves. Kelvin Herrera was sent back to the minors and was replaced by Will Smith. Smith will work out of the bullpen as a middle reliever.
Danny Duffy was activated from the 60-day disabled list and was optioned to AAA as he continues to work back from Tommy John surgery. Francisley Bueno was designated for assignment to make room for Duffy.
Finally, Quintin Berry cleared waivers and accepted an assignment to AAA. Berry was designated for assignment on Sunday to clear room for Maikel Cleto who claimed off waivers from St. Louis.
IN OTHER NEWS…
– An FC Kansas City player copes with the death of her husband. (KC Star)
– The Chiefs are going to give season-ticket holders their own free bag. (KC Star)
– Luke Joeckel has signed with Jacksonville, so is Eric Fisher next? (Arrowhead Addict)
– Are the Royals buyers or sellers? (Kings of Kauffman)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
– “An unruly mob using Occupy Wall Street tactics.” I suppose that’s one way to view a filibuster.
– UCLA defeated Mississippi State last night to win the College World Series. It is UCLA’s first baseball national title.
– Baltimore Ravens running back Bernard Pierce was robbed in Philadelphia. Fortunately, he’s fine.
– “Alex should just shut the f— up.” Brian Cashman is none too pleased with Alex Rodriguez.
– Here is a list of the 25 most hated books. Why is “The Great Gatsby” so high?
ONE MORE THING…
Please explain to me why this statue is spinning. No, really, tell me because I’m freaking out a little.