ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Royals Off Day
Royals had an off day last night so all of us got to watch Wil Myers hit a towering home run in his first at-bat at Tropicana Field. Fantastic.
Whether the trade was worth it will take more than a week – let alone a season – to figure out, so we should be careful to not overreact to achievements like Myers home run. The whole picture has to be taken into account when evaluating the worth of this trade. For example, Myers has not walked in his 34 plate appearances and has struck out nine times (26.5%). How will Myers react once pitchers begin to adjust? There is a long way to go before we can evaluate “The Trade.”
In the short-term we can gather this: Wil Myers was traded away and Dayton Moore did nothing to replace him in the offseason. Jeff Francoeur didn’t have to start in right field. Chris Getz didn’t have to start at second base. While the failure of Mike Moustakas through the first 73 games of the season may have been a surprise – I don’t think anyone had him below the Mendoza Line for the first 10 weeks of the season – the fact there was no backup plan as a precaution is a significant issue.
There were more trades and signings to be made that were never executed. If this season fails to produce a winner it will be because of what wasn’t done, not what was done. And as result, if Dayton Moore is fired in the next few years it will not be because he won or lost the Myers trade, it will be because he lost this offseason.
IN OTHER NEWS…
- Atlanta Braves are visiting Kansas City for the first time ever tonight. (KC Star)
- Sam Mellinger has a good piece on Greg Holland. (KC Star)
- Good stuff from Michael Engel: Expectations and Mood Swings. (Kings of Kauffman)
- Desmond Bishop chooses Minnesota over Chiefs. (Arrowhead Addict)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
- Chicago clinched the Stanley Cup by scoring two goals in the final 90 seconds. Naturally, the city rioted.
- It was a pretty good weekend for Hollywood. Monsters University led the way with $82.4 million.
- Paul Giamatti will be in the season four finale of Downton Abby. I may watch now.
- “Nice flowers, where did you get them?” “Oh, I stole them from a Popeye’s.”
TWEET OF THE WEEK…
#Blackhawks Bolland on his winning goal: “It was the best (goal) I ever scored; it’s better than sex almost.”
— Tim Sassone (@TimSassone) June 25, 2013
ONE MORE THING…