ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Welp, Royals are under .500 now thanks to a 6-5 loss to the lowly Houston Astros. Salvador Perez hurt his hip trying to make a sliding catch near Houston’s dugout, Jeremy Guthrie gave up two big home runs, the lineup continues to strand runners, and Houston is a terrible baseball team. If it were not for a Miguel Tejada three-run homer this would have looked a lot worse. Kansas City has lost seven straight one-run games and is quickly losing grasp of the season. Something needs to change. Soon.
Royals Nugget: Jeremy Guthrie has allowed seven home runs in his last three starts bringing his season total to 13 homers allowed. Assuming a 33 start season, he is on pace to give up 48 home runs. Obviously that pace won’t continue (we hope), but that’s not good.
Bill Self landed another key piece to the 2013-2014 NCAA basketball season by luring Memphis transfer Tarik Black to Kansas. Black has one year of eligibility left and can play immediately because of a rule that allows those who have completed their degree to transfer without sitting out a year. Black averaged eight points and five rebounds in 20 minutes per game last season for the Tigers. He’ll likely start next to Perry Ellis in the frontcourt until Joel Embiid is ready.
IN OTHER NEWS…
– KOK has a guest post from the artist formerly known as Fake Ned. (Kings of Kauffman)
– What is Branden Albert worth? (Arrowhead Addict)
– The NFL may push the draft from the end of April to the May. (Arrowhead Addict)
– Here’s what KU is getting in Tarik Black. (Journal-World)
– Mike DeVito is impressed with Tyson Jackson and Dontari Poe. (Red Zone)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
– PFT says Calvin Johnson played with three broken fingers last season. PFT says Calvin Johnson didn’t play with three broken fingers.
– There have been 50 PED suspensions in the NFL since 2010. None have been Chiefs.
– Ed Reed killed Reggie Wayne’s python in college. “I didn’t kill his snake, his snake passed away.”
– Disney plan an animated Star Wars series. Star Wars Rebels.
– Always make sure the parents are around if you hug a child. Anchorman 2.
ONE MORE THING…
“The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.” Thoughts and prayers to Moore, Oklahoma.