ABOUT LAST NIGHT…
Sporting Kansas City traded Bobby Convey to Toronto FC yesterday for a third round draft pick. The move opens up some cap space for SKC and may allow them to make an international move sometime later this season.
Kansas State can make history this weekend with one more win. So far this year the football and men’s basketball teams have locked up a share of the Big 12 conference title, and with a win over Oklahoma they can wrap up a baseball conference title, too. If they can pull it off it would make KSU the second school in conference history to win a football, men’s basketball, and baseball title. The “Triple Crown” was first pulled off by Texas in the 2005-2006 season and hasn’t been done since, leaving the Longhorns to root for their bitter rival Oklahoma if they want to retain the distinction of being the only school to accomplish the feat. K-State has not won a conference baseball title since 1933.
The Royals had an off day yesterday and will play Oakland tonight to start a three-game series. There has been no movement on the Jarrod Dyson front after we learned he sprained his ankle trying to rob a Mike Trout home run on Wednesday night. He will be re-evaluated before the game tonight and we should know if a disabled list appearance will be needed after the exam.
On the Danny Duffy and Felipe Paulino front, it appears both are on schedule and making progress towards returning soon. Each are being paced to be “conditioned for five or six innings” by the one-year anniversary of their surgery. Duffy had his on June 13 while Paulino’s was July 3. Why the Royals take so long to rehab their Tommy John guys I do not know as most of them are back by the one-year anniversary of their surgery. The team has said they don’t expect Duffy back until after the All-Star break and Paulino until August.
IN OTHER NEWS…
– If you haven’t seen the live Andrew Wiggins announcement, you can watch it here. (WSAZ)
– This week in depressing Royals news… (Kings of Kauffman)
– The word that will define the 2013 Kansas City season is… (Arrowhead Addict)
– Dwayne Bowe is apparently allowed to say whatever he wants now. (Arrowhead Addict)
ELSEWHERE AND EVERYWHERE…
– In the most Zack Greinke-est of ways, Greinke admits he was wrong about Washington. I miss him.
– Internet celebrity “Kai the Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker” arrested for murder. No shock there.
– Greg Holland, the scientist, not Royals closer, thinks he found ancient life. From 1.5 billion years ago.
– David Beckham will retire at the end of his current season. He was good.
– These are the richest athletes of 2012. Spoiler: They made more than you did.
ONE MORE THING…
Two guys hooked themselves up to an electric labour pain simulator so they could experience the pain of child birth. It looks painful…and funny.