It was a busy Monday for Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey and head coach Andy Reid. Not only did they re-sign punter Dustin Colquitt and franchise Branden Albert, they also signed star wide receiver Dwayne Bowe to a five-year, $50 million deal.
Both Dorsey and Reid each released a statement on the decision to re-sign Bowe.
“When we first arrived, one of the first items on our agenda was signing Dwayne,” Dorsey said. “He’s been a key player on our offense and is one of the premier players at his position. We are pleased that Dwayne will be a member of this team for years to come.”
Reid echoed Dorsey’s comments in his statement.
“We’re excited to have Dwayne on the roster for the long term,” Reid said. “Dwayne’s a big, physical receiver who has had success in this league. He is part of the Chiefs family, and it was important to him to remain in Kansas City. I’m looking forward to working with Dwayne.”
For his part, Bowe seems excited about the prospect of spending the next five years in Kansas City. He was on vacation when received the call about the contract agreement.
“I’m very blessed to be a member of the Kansas City Chiefs,” said Bowe. “The Hunt family and the fan base have been very supportive over the years, and I am looking forward to working with John and Coach Reid in the near future. I’m excited to continue my career with the Chiefs and hopefully help this team reach our goals.”
Bowe has been the Chiefs most productive receiver since the departure of tight end Tony Gonzalez, racking up 212 receptions, 3,122 yards, and 23 touchdowns in the last three seasons. Bowe missed the last three games of the season last year after injuring his back, though he is expected to be fine by the start of the training camp.